“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader”. (John Quincy Adams)
Any glance at the internet or a reference book (they do still exist) throws up an almost endless list of leadership qualities. Here are the ones that appear most regularly:
- Clear vision and direction
- Dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Focus on the real issues.
- Ability to influence.
- Willingness to be influenced – listening to others.
- Know yourself.
- Set high expectations for others as well as yourself.
Leadership programmes provide the opportunity to focus on these qualities, delivering learning for the individual and increased effectiveness for the organisation.